Re: BSD coredumps follow symlinks

From: Nir Soffer (scorpiosat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 00:48:46 PST

    On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Denis Papp wrote:

    > I have a system running BSD/OS 2.1 with all the patches from BSDi, including
    > K210-029 which I quote:
    > "This patch addresses a security problem with core dumps from setuid programs."

    That's very wierd. Back when I found the same bug in BSDI 3.0 I tried the
    same in BSDi 2.1 and it didn't work. Maybe we used a different patch, but
    this is the transcript:

    jupiter[ /tmp ] uname -a
    BSD/OS jupiter.cs.huji.ac.il 2.1 BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 Kernel #4: Tue Oct  8
    08:49:52 IST 1996     dannyat_private:/sys/compile/CHAMSA  i386
    jupiter[ /tmp ] ls -la lpr.core
    lrwxrwxrwt  1 root  wheel  8 Apr  2 11:37 lpr.core@ -> /etc/BLA
    jupiter[ /tmp ] lpr &
    [1] 29989
    jupiter[ /tmp ]
    [1]  + Suspended (tty input)  lpr
    jupiter[ /tmp ] kill -6 %1
    jupiter[ /tmp ] fg
    lpr
    IOT trap
    jupiter[ /tmp ] ls -la /etc/BLA
    ls: /etc/BLA: No such file or directory
    jupiter[ /tmp ]

    jupiter[ /tmp ] ls -la `which lpr`
    -rwsr-sr-x  1 root  daemon  26533 Feb 19  1996 /usr/local/bin/lpr*
    jupiter[ /tmp ]

    lpr will dump core if there is no symlink there. Maybe you failed to
    install the patch correctly?

    Regards,
    Nir.

     --
    Nir Soffer * scorpiosat_private * http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~scorpios
    "I wouldn't recommend sex drugs or insanity for everyone but they've