Announce : Nessus Alpha 1

From: Renaud Deraison (deraisonat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 04 1998 - 05:00:35 PST

                                      N E S S U S

                                        Alpha 1

                                     April 4th, 1998

                         - Yet another security auditing tool -

            I am pleased to announce the availability of the first public
            alpha of Nessus.

            Nessus is a completely new security auditing tool, released freely
            to the public. However, it's an *alpha* version,  so do not expect
            anything fancy yet...

      What is the aim of Nessus project ?

            The aim of the Nessus project is to provide an up-to-date and easy to
            use security auditing tool that can be used  by everyone --  not only
            those who can afford it or experts who can understand it.

      Key Nessus Features :

            o Multihost testing :

              The concept of Nessus is not to test a single workstation, but
              all the  workstations that may have  some  relationship with a
              given host. This includes workstations that belong to the same
              domain and those that can mount exported filesystems  of other
              servers.

            o Multithreading :

              Because  the  security  test of a  whole network can take some
              time if  the  network  is big, Nessus is multithread,  and can
              test an great number of hosts at the same time ( depending  on
              your CPU power... )

            o Plugin support :

              Nessus is based upon  the support of plugins,  which  contains
              the attacks that are launched against the tested workstations.
              Using this method, Nessus will hopefully stay up-to-date...
              This  alpha  version  of  Nessus  has 46  plugins  of  several
              categories (CGI abuses, Denial of Service, remote file access,
              information gathering, and so on...)

            o Easy-to-write plugins :

              Nessus offers a simple and  clear  API that helps  the plugin
              developer to write what he wants to. The plugins  are written
              in C.

            o Easy-to-use reporting system :

              Nessus reports the holes of your network in  a  clear  maneer,
              with a easy to use X11 interface, based upon GTK.

      Supported Platforms :

            Nessus currently  compiles  and  (hopefully)  runs  under  Linux

            I am currently  able to support intel Linux as  well  as  PowerPC
            Linux.

      Needed software :

            In order to compile Nessus properly, you need the gtk library.
            (I'm using 0.99.3, but any recent version should work).
            You can get the gtk library at : ftp.gimp.org

      Licensing :

            Nessus librairies are  licensed under  the  LGPL and the applications
            (Nessus is made up of a server and a client) are  licensed  under the
            GPL.

      Call for volunteers :

            This is an alpha version, thus there is a lot of things to
            do, and since I am alone, I can not do everything...

            I need volunteers to port Nessus to other platforms (especially
            BSD) as well as to write more plugins.

            I also need volunteers to improve the functionalities of Nessus
            and to report me all  the  bugs/compilation  troubleshoots they
            may encounter

      Disclaimers :

            Nessus is ALPHA. This  means  that  it's  not  stable  and that
            it might not work nor compile on your system.

            Also,  because  Nessus  is  made  up of  a  server  and client,
            it can create a large security hole in your workstation if  you
            decide to let it run all the time (read the documentation about
            that subject).

            Nessus should only  be  used  against  *your* own  network, not
            someone's else. If you do not  know whether you are allowed  to
            use it against a given network or not, then do not use it.

      Download :

            You can download Nessus from the following locations :

            (those servers are in France -- mirroring in others states
             are welcome)
            http://www.mygale.org/~nessus/
            http://www.worldnet.fr/~deraison/

      Bug Reports :

            Please your bug reports to Renaud Deraison <deraisonat_private>,
            with the  words  "Nessus bug"  somewhere  in  the  subject.

            By the way : I'm leaving France next Monday until next Wednesday,
            so I won't be able to answer to your bugs until this date. You
            may send your bug reports to <alexisbat_private> while I'm not
            here -- he will pass them on/or answer to your questions if he
            finds the answer by himself...

            There is (currently) no mailing lists about Nessus

      Thanks :

            Thanks to fyodor <fyodorat_private> for letting me use his
            excellent port scanner Nmap <http://www.dhp.com/~fyodor/nmap>

            Thanks to the authors of GTK who have made a really good work

            Thanks to the KDE team, the announcements of which have
            served to made up this one :)

            Thanks to anyone willing to pass out this message.

            -- Renaud Deraison <deraisonat_private>