Re: APC UPS PowerChute PLUS exploit...

From: Pascal Gienger (pat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 01:47:28 PDT

    > The PowerChute PLUS software distributed with the UPSs provides a TCP/IP
    > (UDP/IP) way to communicate with (for monitoring) UPS on the local subnet.
    > It listens on port 6549 and listens for broadcast requests (UDP).
    > So if you make as if you are actually requesting information, but send it
    > the wrong packet... Well end of ./_upsd (the name of the daemon).

    This is a known problem. I experienced that behaviour already one year
    ago when I installed our PowerChutes here.

    I recommend using the freely availavle upsd without TCP/IP control. It
    works well well with the PowerChute Series.

    > I spoke with APC (www.apcc.com) and they blew me off.  Forwarded the issue
    > to their techinical crew, but I never heard word again.

    They are interested in their Windows NT stuff and that is all. :(

    Pascal
    --
    pat_private                  Factum Data            - A woman without a man
    http://pascal.znet.de/     Pascal Gienger         - is like a fish without