(follow-up) Wietse's RPCBIND

From: Chiaki Ishikawa (Chiaki.Ishikawa@PERSONAL-MEDIA.CO.JP)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 02:29:08 PDT

    Hello,

    Last week, I questioned whether I should stick to Wietse Venema's
    rpcbind replacement after Sun's security notice regarding its rpcbind.

    I got several e-mail suggestions.  The answer seems to be I can still
    use his rpcbind replacement, but I should upgrade to 2.0.

    So I did just that today.

    To my pleasant surprise there is version 2.1 at
    ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/security.

            rpcbind_2.1.{README,tar.gz,targ.z.sig}

    This 2.1 includes the O_EXCL option, Wietse mentioned in his e-mail
    posting. (Thank you, Wietse.)

    I followed the instruction in README (and made sure I did exactly
    similar procedure back 1.1 by looking in the old directory I keep just
    in case.).  After compiling which took me a while since I moved the
    tcp_wrapper directory around [libwrap.a is needed by rpcbind linking],
    replacing the rpcbind was very easy to do. I just followed the
    procedure in README. So far, I have not seen any problem. (I have been
    running it for just a few hours, though.)

    Thank every one for these wonderful tools and helpful tips
    via private e-mails.

    --
         Ishikawa, Chiaki        ishikawa@personal-media.co.jp.NoSpam  or
     (family name, given name) Chiaki.Ishikawa@personal-media.co.jp.NoSpam