Re: APC UPS PowerChute PLUS exploit...

From: Iain P.C. Moffat (ipmat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 15:59:59 PST

    I could not say, but I would not be at all surprised.  APC had a
    similar hole in earlier (pre mid last year) versions of their
    powerchute nlm for netware.  When they released their Powerchute-VS
    line the included software was able to manage (without
    authentication) servers that were running the full version of
    powerchute.  It basically allowed anyone to with the powerchute VS
    software to manage the APC on the Powerchute server, and _yes_ you
    could powerdown the server.  They do have newer version which should
    fix this.  One of the versions is for Netware 4.x and supposedly
    solves the problem via always authenticating to NDS.  I believe that
    the version for Netware 3.x servers simply uses a new SAP type
    (security through obscurity).  If this is the only change, then with
    the appropriate tools (Powerchute-VS hacked to listen to the new SAP
    type) then the newer NLM for netware 3.x would have the same
    liabilities. Gotta love it!

    -Iain

    On 13 Apr 98 at 5:53, Chris Liljenstolpe - Network wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    >      I hope that this UDP port (I haven't looked at PowerChute) is just used
    > by the UPS's to report problems, and that PowerChute doesn't use that to
    > make critical decisions (like shutdown).  I know PowerChute CAN be used to
    > shutdown the system, I just don't know if that feature can be triggered by a
    > network reported event.  That makes for an even better exploit....
    >
    >      Chris

    Iain P.C. Moffat
    College of Health Professions
    University of Florida