Re: APC UPS PowerChute PLUS exploit...

From: Rick Perry (perryat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 09:11:39 PDT

    Theo Schlossnagle <jesusat_private> writes:
    >The PowerChute PLUS software distributed with the UPSs provides a TCP/IP
    >(UDP/IP) way to communicate with (for monitoring) UPS on the local subnet.
    >It listens on port 6549 and listens for broadcast requests (UDP).
    >So if you make as if you are actually requesting information, but send it
    >the wrong packet... Well end of ./_upsd (the name of the daemon).

    I believe that the powerchute software will not listen on the net if you
    have the following in powerchute.ini

    [ Network ]
     UseTCP = NO

    I didn't yet try your exploit, but with UseTCP set to NO this machine doesn't
    show up in the list of remote ups's when using the powerchute admin interface
    from another machine on the same subnet.

    ...Rick         perryat_private, http://www.ece.vill.edu/~perry  [PGP]