Re: obsd boot hack (boot-modified-kernel-attack)

From: Theo de Raadt (deraadtat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 16:39:10 PDT

    You don't even need such a complicated kernel modification program to
    do this:

    > boot -d

    Voila, you are in the kernel debugger.

    Or, alternatively, make your own root filesystem and do:

    > boot -a
    [...]
    root device? fd0a

    >        and create the file /etc/boot.conf and add a line
    >
    >            boot bsd
    >
    >        This will cause the system to automaticly boot and load
    >        the /bsd kernel with out issueing the user the option to
    >        load a alternitive kernel.

    That's the suggested way of handling secure machines.  I'm not sure if
    we want to put a password system in there, it isn't clear if it will
    help.  We'll think about it.