Re: More Microsoft debri

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 14:36:00 PDT

    First of all, Frontpage is braindammaged (just have to set the stage).

    Ok, Frontpage works like this when you want to publish files:

    It tries to GET "http://www.yourdomain.com/_vti_inf.html".  This file
    contains the version of the FP extensions and the path on the server
    where the extensions are located.  When you use Frontpage to upload content,
    it will try and fetch this file, if it can, it then tries to POST to
    "http://www.yourdomain.com/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc" (that's the default).

    This server binary is not password protected, so it is able to post a query
    to it.  The first thing it does is just establish a protocol rev in which the
    client and server are going to talk, and what functions the server provides.

    If you have any people using Frontpage, it's likely that they FTPed the
    _vti_inf.html from their home machine up to your site.  Then they tried
    to publish, and it tried HTTP first.  If HTTP fails, it just kicks over to
    FTP as the publishing protocol (and notifies the user that they can't use
    WebBots and stuff).

    Incidentally, I have a passion to hate the FP extensions.  They are fundamentally
    stupid in nearly all respects of implementation.

    Firsly, they maintain a crapload of meta files (one shadow for every file
    managed) then they have all of their config info in a bunch of text files
    in the _vti_pvt directory.  (Oh, BTW, there exists a very HUGE privacy hole
    in the FP extenstions).  If you go to a site that has FP extensions, just
    pick any directory in the URL, yank the filename off, and put "_vti_cnf"
    there instead...you'll get a complete listing of all the files in the
    real directory.  With this you can snatch files that weren't meant to be
    seen by the public...and it's available on ALL FP enabled sites.

    Hmm, I've contributed a "privacy bug" now. :)

    Want to know an even cooler hack?  Want to break into Frontpage enabled sites?

    Just snarf the "administrators.pwd" and "authors.pwd" file in:

    "http://www.yourdomain.com/_vti_pvt/administrators.pwd"

    That'll net you the password file for the web.  Just convert it properly and run
    Crack on it to obtain a useful password for defacing web sites!

    Want even more???

    Frontpage 98 fucks up the permissions so bad that it makes the _vti_pvt
    directory WORLD WRITABLE!!! No shit, you can do whatever you want to stuff
    in that directory.

    Hmm, I love incompetent nitwits that think they can buy someone elses crappy
    Unix shit and sell it as their own!!! :)

    Oh, you know why all the directories begin with "VTI"???

    "Vermeer Technology Inc". The people the M$ bought for Frontpage. :)

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
    http://www.webcom.com  perry.harringtonat_private  Think Blue.  /\