More Microsoft debri

From: Lloyd Vancil (levat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 08:36:02 PDT

    Looking at my Netscape error log on my web servers recently I have found
    several entries that look like this:

    [08/Apr/1998:08:07:07] config: for host *blah* trying to POST
    /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc, handle-processed reports: no way to service
    request for /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc

    Host name removed to protect the -apparently- innocent

    The file being posted here is the M$ control file  for servers managed by
    "FrontPage."

    In the beginning I thought these were all attempts to "take over" my
    server
    by placing a hacked version of the software in my server.  Since we don't
    run NT or 95, for obvious reasons, I was somewhat surprised by the
    frequency of such brain dead attacks and even more surprised that it
    might work.

    Recently I have learned that the M$ software itself attempts to POST to
    this file if you attempt to "verify off site links" on a server managed
    by this software.

    IN-other-words, every time you attempt to verify links to other servers
    on your M$ managed
    http server, that server will ASSUME that every one is a M$ managed
    server and add yet another error entry to their error file.

    I have notified M$   -as expected No response-

    searchmaster@   _/    _/  _/    _/  _/    _/  _/      _/