How to exploit AlephOne by JP of AntiOnline

From: F0RMiCA (positronat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 00:28:54 PDT

    Hello, I am bringing to your attention a very serious offense to AlephOne's
    First Amendment Rights and to Copyright Violation.

    Recently I noticed that AntiOnline Posted a "Special Report" on Buffer
    Exploits which is a startling resemblance to AlephOne's Article in PHRACK49
    "Smashing the Stack..."

    Here is what i mean:

    JP:
    -----------------------

    void function(char *str) {   char buffer[16];   strcpy(buffer,str);}
    void main() {  char evil[256];  int i;  for(i=0;i<255;i++)    evil[i] = 'A';
        function(evil);}

    AlephOne:
    --------------void function(char *str) {   char buffer[16];
       strcpy(buffer,str);}void main() {  char large_string[256];  int i;
      for( i = 0; i < 255; i++)    large_string[i] = 'A';
    function(large_string);}
    AND FOR MORE:

    JP:
    -----
    Ok, we can tell that a typical buffer overflow exists here,the function
    involved uses the strcpy() function to check its bounds, instead of the
    safer, strncpy().

    AlephOne:
    --------------
       This is program has a function with a typical buffer overflow coding
    error.  The function copies a supplied string without bounds checking by
    using strcpy() instead of strncpy().

    I am bringing this up because there was no citation or credit given to
    AlephOne to *HIS* code, not JP's, and that it is a serious illegal offense,
    not to mention highly immoral, to steal the works of other colleagues in
    this field.  because of this, antionline (www.antionline.com) and JP should
    be boycotted and even prosecuted for copyright infringement.
    F0RMiCA
    Ambient Empire
    http://www.thegrid.net/positron