Flaw in HTTP-Authentication in O'Reilly Website Pro

From: BarKode (bkat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 20:14:02 PDT

    Greetings...

            I went to download a file I'd stashed away on a machine at work
    running Website Pro 1.1h, with HTTP-Authentication required to
    access the site at all.  I mistyped the name and to my astonishment
    got a 404 error. This only surprised me because I had just started
    the browser, and had not yet been prompted for a username and
    password (Authentication-basic style).

    Problem: You can remotely check for existence of files and
    directory structures on a machine running Web Site Pro 1.1.

    Observe: Here we will try to access index.html, a file which exists on
    the protected host.
    thunder:~$ telnet protected.host.com 80
    Trying 1.2.3.4...
    Connected to protected.host.com.