Re: Security Hole in Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0

From: Matthew Frederick (mfrederickat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 09:45:00 PDT

    This problem has been around in "Livewire" since its inception. We solved it
    more securely by putting the actual web file in a protected directory above
    the website's directory.

    It makes testing a bit more of a pain (relative URL's have to be mucked with)
    but it's certainly more secure than renaming the file. The problem with the
    default setup (and the renaming system) is that the .web file lies in a
    publicly-readable directory. Put it somewhere where the OS can protect it
    instead.

    We really panicked when we first realized this -- we had, of course, database
    usernames and passwords in the .web file!

    [BTW, please note that I don't subscribe to BugTraq -- I received this through
    another source who was just passing it along to me.]

    Matthew Frederick                               USWeb Corporation
    Director of Technology                             Phoenix Office
    Associate Partner                    mfrederickat_private
    USWeb Corporation     A Strategic Partner for the Information Age