Security Hole in Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0

From: Daragh Malone (daragh_maloneat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 04:48:02 PDT

         Hi All,
            I don't know if there is a patch for this, or if this is already
         well known, but here it is. A simple workaround follows.

         Problem: Livewire Applications are downloadable. (Passwords are
         unencrypted)

         Platform: DEC UNIX 4.0D (possibly all Unixes/NT)

            Livewire applications are basically server-side Javascript
         applications that behave similiar to Active Server Pages. The main
         difference is that Livewire applications are compiled to a proprietary
         byte executable that contains all the pages in the application.
            These applications are generated with .web extensions. In their own
         example, the game hangman is accessed as
         http://www.myserver.com/hangman/ and the application is hangman.web.
         So accessing http://www.myserver.com/hangman/hangman.web will download
         the application to your browser.
            The second problem lies in the fact that all the pages are
         readable, and that database username/passwords are unencrypted, unless
         specifically encrypted in your application.
            The two problems combined can compromise security. This problem
         occurs regardless of Web directory permissions from a server level.

         Quick Workaround:
            Rename the .web application to something cryptic like G6r$79k9.web
         and make sure that the directory it's in isn't a document directory.

         Rant:
            I verified this problem on a few Internet sites, which leads to the
         question: If you verify a web security problem (remember .. at the end
         of Active Server Pages) is this technically illegal.
            If anyone knows if this problem has been fixes I'd really
         appreciate it.

            Thanks,
            D.Malone.