Security hole in kppp

From: |[TDP]| (tdpat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 03:39:19 PDT

      I found an xploitable bug in my kppp application that comes with KDE
    env.
    Local user can execute malicious code to obtain root access/shell.

    gollum:~$ cd /usr/local/kde/bin
    gollum:/usr/local/kde/bin$ ls -la kppp
    -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root       262516 Mar 15 01:17 kppp*
    ( ^- suid!)

    gollum:/usr/local/kde/bin$ kppp -h
    kppp -- valid command line options:
     -h describe command line options
     -c account_name : connect to account account_name
     -q : quit after end of connection
     -r rule_file: check syntax of rule_file

     I discover that -c option is buggy and root xploitable buffer overflow.

     With 244 or < chars (X's) executes with out problems

     With 245 chars (X's) gives me an error

    gollum:/usr/local/kde/bin$ kppp -c
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    Virtual memory exceed in `new'

     With 246 or > (until about 1024) chars (X's) cause a core dump :)

    gollum:/usr/local/kde/bin$ kppp -c
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^  Security hole...  Dangerous, isn't it?

     Remove the suid bit or wait for a patch

                                                 -=[  [TDP] - H-13 MeMBaH
    ]=-
                                                     -=[