Re: Security hole in kppp

From: Bernd Johannes Wuebben (wuebbenat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 12:19:40 PDT

    This bug has been fixed a while ago. Users of kppp in a
    security sensitive environment should upgrade to kppp-1.1.3.

    Furthermore, I urge users of kppp in a security sensitive
    environment to not run kppp SETUID root, but rather to
    create a modem group.

    kppp-1.1.3 is available in the kdenetwork package in the
    snapshots directory on ftp.kde.org and its mirrors.

    Best Regards,
    Bernd Wuebben

    > I found an xploitable bug in my kppp application that comes with KDE
    >env.
    >Local user can execute malicious code to obtain root access/shell.
    >
    >gollum:~$ cd /usr/local/kde/bin
    >gollum:/usr/local/kde/bin$ ls -la kppp
    >-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root       262516 Mar 15 01:17 kppp*
    >( ^- suid!)
    >
    >gollum:/usr/local/kde/bin$ kppp -h
    >kppp -- valid command line options:
    > -h describe command line options
    > -c account_name : connect to account account_name
    > -q : quit after end of connection
    > -r rule_file: check syntax of rule_file
    >
    > I discover that -c option is buggy and root xploitable buffer overflow.

    Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebbenat_private
    wuebbenat_private                        wuebbenat_private