FreeBSD + ircII + purepak.irc = reboot

From: Daniel Harris (Danny.Harrisat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 17:03:14 PDT

    When playing around with on a private irc server one day, I rebooted a
    FreeBSD 2.2.5-stable web server which I am the assistant sys-admin.
    Thinking this was a fluke, I tried it again, and it happened again.  I
    looked at my current system limits (limits -h in a tcsh shell) and found my
    file descriptors were limited to 4142.  I loaded ircII (2.9-roof) with
    purepak.irc 2.07.  I then did:

              /bot massmake 1000 Blah servername.

    After about 2 minutes the machine rebooted again.  I have tested this with 2
    other freebsd machines (2.2.5-stable and 2.2.6-stable) with the same
    success.

    When my descriptors where tuned down from above 200, I would not crash it
    anymore.

    Daniel Harris
    MIS Assistant - Digital Techniques, Inc.
    daniel.harrisat_private