Solaris kernel sockets interface (bug?)

From: Natali Gracheva (nataliyaat_private)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 06:00:52 PDT

    SunOS alpha 5.5 Generic_103093-03 sun4c sparc SUNW,Sun_4_40

       Good time of day, ppl.

       There is a very strange behaviour of kernel sockets interface in
    Solaris 2.5. I am running TCP gateway on this platform and there is a
    funny situation: when gatewaying telnet connection thru this system there
    is a random garbage data that is coming from communication channel if I
    use TELNET-ESCAPE character to close session. As far as I can explain this
    - it happens when tcp-gateis trying to read something from socket that is
    being closing from remote peer. For example, there is a description of
    something that really happens:

      Host A (HP-UX) -> tcp-proxy Host B (Solaris) -> Destination Host C (FBSD)

    tcp-proxy is simple - it opens second TCP connection and then transfers
    data between first and second till one of them signals that connection
    is broken or closed. This channel is a local peer between two ISP and
    mostly HTTP traffic passes thru. So, when I close telnet on host A
    just by typing ^], then reconnect - I see a lot of HTTP headers as it
    was typed on console after I have closed connection.

       Seems to be a very interesting situation, because in most cases TCP
    sessions should not be available in any case for others but owner.

    Wish you all the best,

    Natali.