Re: 3Com switches - undocumented access level.

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 10:18:24 PDT

    Excuse me for being blunt, but: poppycock.  Pure spin-doctoring.  I can
    think of at least two other ways right off the top of my head.

    One would be to give the switches in question a physical setting (a
    back-panel switch, a jumper on the pc board, whatever) that overrides
    the password somehow - for example, causes any password to be accepted.
    (Of course, one would not normally run with the hardware set this way.)

    Another would be to keep the password information in a separate NVRAM
    from the rest of the configuration, so that either can be reset without
    having to touch the other.

    Either of these would be an appropriate disaster-recovery mechanism.

    A "secret" backdoor access mechanism is not.

    To anyone receiving this message: you are welcome to forward it to
    anyone you please.

                                            der Mouse

                                   mouseat_private