Re: 3Com switches - undocumented access level.)

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Sun May 10 1998 - 12:41:37 PDT

    Summary of multiple posts on the subject:

    Riku Meskanen <mesrikat_private>

    LanPlex2500/Corebuilder
    - login:    debug
    - password: synnet

    LinkSwitch 2700, SuperStack 2700, CellPlex 7000
    - login:    tech
    - password: tech

    SuperStack II 1000 ja SuperStack II 3000
    - login:    monitor
    - password: monitor

    Joel Moses <jmosesat_private>

    CoreBuilder 7000-series has the problem. It is safe to change that
    password on this model. Please note that if you have multiple management
    cards, each one will have the password enabled.

    Philippe Regnauld <regnauldat_private>

    Netbuilder 2xx (v. SW/NBRO-AB,9.1): Nothing so far.

    James Robertson <jamesat_private>

    I have checked Netbulder Version 8.4 up to 10.1. None of these versions
    have a backdoor that I know of. I also scanned the boot images for any
    hints, none found so far.

    Also, Superstack II Switch 1100, 3000, 3300 do not have the 'tech'
    backdoor nor does a scan of the boot image show any hints of the same.

    There is another way to gain access to a Netbuilder. All 3Com Netbuilders
    support a remote command. The remote command comes with RBCS ( Remote Boot
    and Configuration Services ) and Transcend Management Suite.

    If you are root on a Netbuilder and know the address of someone elses
    Netbuilder you can remote to their Netbuiler from yours and gain root
    privelages.

    Fix:
    Under System Options, Limit remote access connections to a single station
    or single subnet.

     SHow -SYS RemoteManager
    Remote-In allowed from the following addresses:
          your.ip.subnet.here      your.ip.addr.here

    Adam Spiers <adamat_private>

    My LANplex 2500 seems vulnerable:

    LANplex 2500 (rev 6.20) - System ID 049bff
    Software version 4.3.0-7 - Built 11/10/95 03:49:46 PM

    The debug user id is clearly visible in an ASCII dump of the 4.3.0-20
    image downloadable from ftp.3com.com.