Overflows in minicom

From: Tiago F P Rodrigues (11108496at_private)
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 12:48:55 PDT

     I apologise if this is old, though i haven´t found any message on this
    issue on bugtraq in the last few months.

     It seems minicom(distributed with slak3.4) have some overflow
    vulnerabilities, namely in the '-p' switch and when you pick a config
    file on the arguments. (a strcpy and a sprintf)

     you may test it with:
      $ minicom -p/dev/ttyp`perl -e ´print "A" x 2500´`
        (Some garbage)
        Segmentation fault

     An examination under gdb shows saved EIP=0x414141
     If this is new, I may post an exploit if prompted to.

    "There are awfull penalties for crimes against the gods"
                                            - Irish Murdoch
    Tiago F. P. Rodrigues   (BlindPoet)
    Universidade Lusiada ´98 - PORTUGAL