Re: Samba problems

From: Marco S Hyman (marcat_private)
Date: Sun May 10 1998 - 19:08:22 PDT

     > I have the same sort of beef with strncpy - if you overflow a strncpy, it
     > won't null terminate, and snprintf will do the same thing.  You may no

    Who's snprintf doesn't null terminate?  The OpenBSD man page reads:

         Snprintf(), vsnprintf(), asnprintf() and vasnprintf() will write at most
         size-1 of the characters printed into the output string (the size'th
         character then gets the terminating `\0'); if the return value is greater

    I otherwise agree that passing possible garbage on to other functions is
    not a recommended way to write secure programs.

    // marc