Re: easy DoS in most RPC apps

From: Bill Trost (trostat_private)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 16:46:22 PDT

    Peter van Dijk writes:
        Update: I tested the same trick on two NeXT Mach's. The portmapper is
        vulnerable there, as are possibly other services. NFS is not (not
        directly, a non-working portmapper does have it's effect) because it only
        uses UDP.

    NFS might have problems on a server that also supports NFS over TCP.

    FreeBSD-current seems to have the problem, too (tested against both
    amd and portmapper).  The amd one is sort of amusing, as it means that
    accesses via it will *hang* so long as the attack is in progress.

    I also tried it against the portmapper on SunOS 4.1.3, with similar results.

    I also wonder what the effect of this attack could be if combined with
    T/TCP and multicast....

    I have reported the bug to the FreeBSD folks.