Re: SN 4.0 huge security hole

From: Michael Tiemann (tiemannat_private)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 17:21:40 PDT

    Your message has been received, understood, and a technical fix has been
    implemented and is being tested.  We have disabled ftp downloads of
    SN-Lite for all platforms, and have already formulated a fix.  We are
    contacting CERT to post a proper advisory and fix.

    I would ask that in the future, you follow proper security notification
    protocol, which is to attempt to contact the vendor with such problems
    first, so that immediate action can be taken to resolve the problem
    before widely exposing the vulnerability.  You should reserve public
    exposure for the rare cases that the vendor ignores your warning.  As it
    is, you have probably induced several enterprising crackers to attempt
    to exploit this vulnerability in the few hours it will take us to
    re-spin all the software, and thus you are the one who would be liable
    for any mis-use of this bug.

    Please direct your followups to myself, not the lists that I have ack'd
    your message to.  Thanks,

    Michael Tiemann