Exploit: Windows95/98/ (NT?) Autorun

From: Matt Hallacy (poptixat_private)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 12:08:27 PDT

    Sorry if this has been brought up before, I searched the archives and
    didnt find anything.

    Problem: Autorun runs even when passworded screensaver is active.

    Scenario: Burn a CD-ROM with whatever program you want to run on the
    passworded machine, put it in autorun.inf, and just put it in the machine,
    this can be used to run and do just about anything, one more reason not to
    rely on microsoft for your security :)

    I dont suppose this is actually an exploit, but it's exploitable on 80% of
    the machines running Windows since not a whole lot of people turn autorun
    off, a few friends had a great time going to wal-mart, popping the CD in,
    removing the screen savers and a password utility they had on there, then
    having full access, this could easily be used to walk over to a machine,
    pop a disk in drive A, have it autorun a batch file on the CD to copy
    say, Turbo Tax documents, Quicken, (you get the idea :)

                                    Matt Hallacy, poptix@Efnet