Re: linux 2.0 PTE bug

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 14:11:00 PDT

    > Hi all,
    >
    > there is the program :

    [SNIP of wonderful reason to set rlimits]

    > The idea is to take a lot of memory. So, we map all our virtual pages,
    > to force the system to allow all the pte (am talking about PC box).
    > So, the process will have allocated 768 pages that will never be
    > swapped (that's the crucial point).
    >
    > So, that's simple, you run this program as much time as you need to take
    > all the memory, and the PC won't be usable anymore (for my 64Mb box,
    > i need to run it about 20 times).
    >
    > And then, you can have a wonderful light-show with your HD-led :) (PC will
    > spend its time in swapping).
    >
    > How to solve it ?
    > Well, we could swap the pgd / pmd / pte, but i really don't know
    > if it is possible or what.

    The default TASK_SIZE is set in /usr/src/linux/include/asm/processor.h it is the
    virtual memory maximum map size.  This in itself is not dynamically configurable
    (it really has nothing to do with resources).  The main factor is RLIMIT_AS,
    defined in /usr/src/linux/include/asm/resource.h, it controls how much virtual
    memory that a process can map, mmap utilizes virtual memory.  You can
    safely throttle people by running a program which calls setrlimit(2) with
    RLIMIT_AS as the resource.  By far, 3GB is too much.

    This is only a DoS if you LET it be a DoS.

    > If this bug is already well know, am sorry to disturb with it.
    >
    > It applies only on the 2.0 kernel, for the 2.1 (soon 2.2) i don't know
    > if it works, will have to read the source.
    >
    > Sed.
    > p6mip300at_private

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
    http://www.webcom.com  perry.harringtonat_private  Think Blue.  /\