Re: HP-UX finger possible security hole

From: Walter Misar (misarat_private-DARMSTADT.DE)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 23:45:22 PDT

    > while i was playing with the finger command, i got a coredump when
    > i submit
    >
    > finger aaaa ( 200 random caracters )
    >
    > i wonder if this is a possible security hole because the finger
    > command is owned by bin group.

    The situation is far worse, if fingerd is run (which invokes finger).

    > my HP-UX is A.09.05 A 9000/73
    >
    > sorry if this is an old bug i didn t had the time to check the archive
    > and forgive me for my broken english :)

    When I first noticed this some years ago, I didn't find anything about it
    in any archives. But the hole should prove hard to exploit anyway - at least
    for the m68k hpux version, the overflow was in the malloc() area - it cores
    after a second call to malloc(). So standard techniques won't apply, but
    it should be possible to direct the write to the second malloced() area to
    any memory location.

            Walter