Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5R - FreeBSD Current "SMURF" Vulnerability

From: David Greenman (dgat_private)
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 18:03:16 PDT

    >I opened PR kern/5294 against 2.2.5R and provided a patch for this problem
    >in December, currently the PR is 'suspended, awaiting committer'.  See

       For whatever reason, I didn't see that PR when it was filed. Apparantly
    Garrett didn't see it either, since when I brought up the issue with him,
    that was the first he'd heard of it. My apologies that the bug went unfixed
    for so long - you should have been more persistent. :-)
       As it turns out, the proper fix is to not check the multicast address. The
    check for the MCAST/BCAST flags is quite sufficient.

    -DG

    David Greenman