Re: First patch :)

From: Peter van Dijk (peterat_private)
Date: Sat May 30 1998 - 04:24:19 PDT

    On Sat, 30 May 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The "ruid" idea and prevent exec/fork of suid programs, is a nice idea but
    > is really security through obscurity.
    [snip]
    > syscall chmod 666 /etc/passwd
    You got a point there, but there are two things to remember:
    - no system is secure... anything that helps, helps.
    - it _will_ stop script kiddies, as most exploits seem to be based on
    'standard shellcode by Aleph One'.
    And stopping script kiddies is a _big_ part of the job. Most of the
    systems I've seen hacked where hacked with your average rootshell exploit.

    Greetz, Peter.

     'Selfishness and separation have led me to   .   Peter 'Hardbeat' van Dijk
      to believe that the world is not my problem . network security consultant
      I am the world. And you are the world.'     .            (yeah, right...)
              Live - 10.000 years (peace is now)  .     peterat_private
      1:22pm  up 4 days, 20:48,  3 users,  load average: 1.40, 0.72, 0.30