Re: pingflood.c

From: Matthias Urlichs (smurfat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 23:18:30 PDT

      Niall Smart <njs3at_private> writes:

    > I would have also thought it advisable to prevent a non-priviledged
    > user from sending a signal to a set[ug]id process which has installed
    > a handler for that signal.

    Which means that you also cannot terminate ping.  Bad idea, I'm afraid.

    (ping installs a sigterm handler in order to wait for straggling packets
     and/or print statistics. Not doing that is Not Good.)

    The correct solution is to either check that the sigalrm isn't early, or to
    check who sent the signal. The former has been done, the latter needs a bit
    of kernel support...

    --
    Matthias Urlichs
    noris network GmbH