backdoor trojan in ICKill

From: Bachrach (bachrachat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 07 1998 - 16:44:28 PDT

        First off, I'm not 100% sure if this is the apropriate forum for this
    since it's not really a weakness, but rather a programmer who is putting
    backdoors
    into some programs. Then again technically that's an exploits... Oh I
    don't know. If this is the wrong place then I apologize profusely for the
    waste of bandwidth and plead ignorance, but here goes:
        Well, chances are none of you guys have ever used this program, or even
    heard of it, but there are alot (35,000) of people who have. I originally
    downloaded it becasue I've been researching a lot of the weaknesses in the
    ICQ protocol, (which has become easier as time has gone on. :)) Anyway,
    after
    you run it, (ICKill), it creates a file in the directory called 1.exe that
    acts as a
    fake explorer. 1.exe accesses your regedit database, and copies itself to
    windows/system. It changes the regedit so that the fake one will run on
    startup. It acts mostly the same as the normal explorer with one very
    crucial execption. It contacts a host (I still can't figure out which one),
    and executes the commands that are embedded within a text file on the
    computer. Anyone see it yet? Backdoor city. I contacted the author (who left
    his e-mail address in the readme), and he's the one who explained th
    backdoor thing. He also told me a few other things that made me write up to
    this group.
        He said that he had gotten almost 35,000 different people's systems
    calling up his computer at one point; essentuially he has backdoors to
    35,000 systems accross the globe. When I asked him why he would go through
    all the trouble to do this he gave me two reasons:
    1. IF (and he emphasized the if) he was a hacker he could use a couple of
    other people's computers as hops when hacking into a system. Kind of nasty
    for the sysadmin trying to trace a breaking huh?
    2. To quote him "And the backdoors can auto-uptade themselves.. so Imagine I
    can code a virus like backdoor... Whoaaa! This will be like THAT internet
    worm.."
    3. He also said "Imagine also.. 35,000 backdoored (yeah, I reached this
    number)
    connections pinging or SYN flooding some server.."

    Well if anyone out there is using or has ever used ICKill then get rid of
    it. I have actually set up a page on this to both inform people and explain
    how to get rid of all traces of the program that I currently am able to at
    http://members.tripod.com/~hakz/ICQ/index.html That site also has all of the
    letters I wrote to him and he wrote to me if you want to see the entire
    things. It's also got some other info I couldn't fit into this message,
    including all of the mistakes the author made (guess he needed better beta
    testing). My
    last question is this: if one person has backdoors into thousands of
    computer systems, doesn't that pose some sort of risk to the interent
    community as a whole? There's one person who's been saying that I should
    notify the FBI about this. As you can see  decided to start here first.