Re: Port 0 oddities

From: Kevin Day (toastyat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 18 1998 - 13:27:54 PDT

    > After reading the inital post on Bugtraq concerning DoS attacks involving
    > port zero (and being basically a paretty paranoid person), I took a chance
    > that it was not a stack-disabling attack, and dropped in some ip
    > firewalling rules (linux, stable kernel) to block and log connections from
    > any machine using source port 0, or connections from any machine, destined
    > to port 0 here.  As bizarre as it sounds, apparently someone IS up to
    > something, since I've now logged this many blocked connections thus far.
    > I'm posting this because the inital post made the statement that these
    > incidences involved imapd (port 143)  and as we can see here, it's not
    > limited to just that one service.  I'd love sit and wait with a packet
    > dumper to have more information before speaking, but I'm about to go to
    > San Francisco for several days, and simply don't have the time.  :/
    > Possibly this confirmation of the rumor will get more people interested in
    > hunting down whatever the heck this is...

    I'm seeing 200-5000 packets a day, either with the source 0 or the dest 0.
    They're usually source 0, then a well-known port #... (sendmail, named,
    whatever). Nothing has crashed yet, and I haven't seen any exploits, or any
    trace of an exploit yet. At first I just logged the packets, now i'm
    dropping them, since apparently people *think* they can crash something with
    it.

    Also, for those interested in what attempted exploits are being used most
    often...

    In a 7 day period:

    3171 packets with a source address of one of my class C's.
    12 packets from the 10.x.x.x reserved ranges
    732 packets from 172. reserved ranges
    56 packets from 192.168.x.x reserved ranged
    18 packets with a destination address of x.x.x.255
    3 packets with a destination address of x.x.x.0
    3095 packets to port 139, when there's no reason for anyone to connect
    there.
    4390 packets with a source port 0
    204 packets with a destination port 0
    431 packets to port 111, when there's not reason for anyone to connect
    there.

    I'm leaving out other stuff i'm filtering, so I don't give the entire world
    my list of filters, but it's interesting...

    Kevin