Re: Security problems on SCO's lp subsystem

From: Bela Lubkin (belalat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 14:19:31 PDT

    I forgot to explicitly state the perhaps-obvious workaround: do not
    enable the Berkeley lpd client.  It should be sufficient to move aside
    /etc/printcap and /usr/spool/lpd, then run `mkdev rlp`, tell it to
    "remove remote printing".  The SysV spooler can do remote printing with
    any available remote command processor (rcmd (nee rsh), etc.), which
    could be used to shunt jobs to a different system's lpd client.

    I'm working on fixes for the whole mess.