Re: More problems with QPOPPER - <sigh>

From: Bruno Lopes F. Cabral (brunoat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 29 1998 - 04:50:00 PDT

    Hi there

    > After applying all the patches with exception of the PAM patch in the
    > .RPM'd version of qpopper2.4.src, I have located yet another hole in qpopper.
    >
    > This popper was compiled with -DAUTH in the makefile.
    [examples snipped]
    > Then, I decided to try a VALID username:
    >
    > [OverKill]:/$ telnet localhost pop3
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > Connected to localhost.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > +OK QPOP (version 2.4) at Victim.Com starting.
    > user valid
    > +OK Password required for valid.
    > pass [long line of X truncated]
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    >
    > It segfaulted and dumped core.

    seems the pam patches protect this, because here (I use pam) it didn't work

    $ telnet poor.victim.com 110
    Trying poor.victim.ip.address...
    Connected to poor.victim.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK QPOP (version 2.4) at poor.victim.com starting.
    user valid
    +OK Password required for valid.
    pass [long line of X striped]
    -ERR Password supplied for "valid" is incorrect.
    +OK Pop server at poor.victim.com signing off.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    and the attempt was logged (although not different from a "normal" one)

    Jun 29 08:42:29 poor in.qpopper[4612]: validat_private: -ERR Password supplied for "poor" is incorrect.
    Jun 29 08:42:29 poor in.qpopper[4612]: Failed attempted login to poor from host poor.victim.com

    > Looks like basically that if the parser sees that the command was actually
    > a password argument, it doesn't send it through the truncate code.

    I didn't looked into but I suspect the PAM patches change the default
    of -DAUTH. BTW qpopper development seems halted. does any of you
    contacted quallcom about these problems?

    !3runo