Bell Atlandic Mobile "Encryption"

From: kevin (pyroat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 27 1998 - 09:30:53 PDT

      Send mail to mimeat_private for more info.

    --0-642854143-898965053=:7832

    I know this isn't a major vulnerability, but it is interesting.

    While experimenting with text paging on my cellular phone from Bell
    Atlantic I read the following on their web site:

    Bell Atlantic Mobile has encrypted your phone number as a courtesy,
    however the protocol for encryption is proprietary and we cannot
    guarantee its security. Bell Atlantic Mobile is not responsible for
    the number or content of messages lost or misdirected due to
    interruptions or fluctuations in the Internet.

    I found that its not even encrypted, its simply encoded.  Its fairly
    simple and straight forward so I won't bore you with the details, but I
    attached a decoding program.

    Kevin Seales
    kevinat_private

    --0-642854143-898965053=:7832

    I2luY2x1ZGUgPHN0ZGlvLmg+DQoNCmludCBtYWluKHZvaWQpDQp7DQogIGNo
    YXIgbW9iaWxlX2lkWzE5XTsNCg0KICBwcmludGYoIlRoaXMgcHJvZ3JhbSB0
    YWtlcyB0aGUgTW9iaWxlIElEIEJlbGwgQXRsYW50aWMgZ2l2ZXMgeW91IHRv
    XG4iKTsNCiAgcHJpbnRmKCJwdXQgb24geW91ciB3ZWIgcGFnZSBhbmQgZGVj
    b2RlcyBpdCB0byBnaXZlIHlvdSB0aGUgcmVhbCBwaG9uZVxuIik7DQogIHBy
    aW50ZigibnVtYmVyLlxuQ29kZWQgYnkgS2V2aW4gU2VhbGVzLCBrZXZpbkBk
    cnVua3MuY29tXG5cbiIpOyANCiAgcHJpbnRmKCJFbnRlciBNb2JpbGUgSUQg
    TnVtYmVyOiAgIik7DQogIHNjYW5mKCIlcyIsICZtb2JpbGVfaWQpOw0KDQog
    IHByaW50ZigiVGhlIFJlYWwgTW9iaWxlIElEIE51bWJlciBpczogIik7DQog
    IHByaW50ZigiJWMlYyVjIiwgbW9iaWxlX2lkWzE5XSxtb2JpbGVfaWRbMThd
    LG1vYmlsZV9pZFsxN10pOw0KICBwcmludGYoIi0iKTsNCiAgcHJpbnRmKCIl
    YyVjJWMiLCBtb2JpbGVfaWRbM10sbW9iaWxlX2lkWzEyXSxtb2JpbGVfaWRb
    MTRdKTsNCiAgcHJpbnRmKCItIik7DQogIHByaW50ZigiJWMlYyVjJWNcbiIs
    IG1vYmlsZV9pZFs2XSxtb2JpbGVfaWRbMTZdLG1vYmlsZV9pZFs4XSxtb2Jp
    bGVfaWRbOV0pOw0KDQp9DQo=
    --0-642854143-898965053=:7832--