SECURITY FIX - TclPro Debugger beta release 1 & 2

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Mon Jun 29 1998 - 08:54:15 PDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:19:26 -0700
    From: Ray Johnson <fooat_private>
    Subject: SECURITY FIX - TclPro Debugger beta release 1 & 2
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl

    Attention! - All users of the beta releases of the TclPro Debugger

    Problem:

    The 1.0 beta 1 & 1.0 beta 2 releases of the TclPro Debugger contain a
    security hole. A bug in those releases makes the debugger vulnerable to
    malicious attacks on the port the debugger listens on for connections with
    Tcl applications.

    Solution:

    We suggest that if you are currently using either TclPro Debugger beta 1
    or beta 2 that you stop using it and download the beta 3 version of TclPro
    Debugger. The beta 3 release contains no known security related bugs.

    As with any beta software, we recommend that you never run the
    debugger as root or on machines that are critical to your environment.
    We are working hard to produce the best software possible and apologize
    in advance for any bugs in our beta releases. We also want to thank our
    beta testers for finding bugs, making suggestions and in general helping
    us to improve our products.

    Ray Johnson
    Engineering Manager for TclPro

    P.S. You will find the beta 3 version of TclPro Debugger has
    additional enhancements (aside from the security fix) that
    are significant.