Re: Port 0 oddities

From: Simon Halsall (S.Halsallat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 10:04:28 PDT

    I've been off bugtraq for a couple of weeks but I just saw these messages. I
    have recently been putting logging into our cisco's rule set so that I can see
    what traffic is being passed through our network. I spotted traffic that
    appeared to be missed by the rules as it had src port 0 and dst port 0.

    Further investigation showed that it was ssh that was causing this. I have
    looked at the packets using tcpdump and they look find and what I would expect
    but the cisco is still reporting packets from 0 to 0.

    I will trawl back through the logs to find out if we have had any other
    anomalies with port 0 before but I don't recall any. The rules for allowing
    port 22 through seem to work fine for the initial connect but then it over to
    port 0. We are using IOS 11.2. Anyone else seen anythin odd like this ?

    Simon Halsall