Re: SECURITY: RedHat: The saga continues

From: Chris Evans (chrisat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 03 1998 - 15:22:58 PDT

    Hi,

    Well, when a post has the title "redhat: the saga continues", I feel
    obliged to respond in case public opinion is being influenced.

    The reason for the recent slew of RedHat errata updates, is a new
    _proactive_ search for security holes, headed by some rather clueful
    people of the LSAP (Linux Security Audit Project). [see below]

    Of especial note, most of the holes we find are _generic holes_, affecting
    most Linux distributions. Some holes are _very_ generic holes, affecting
    *BSD (including sometimes OpenBSD), and Sun's Solaris appears to be
    affected by a lot of stuff we find. We welcome feedback from any other
    systems!

    RedHat should be praised for their rapid security updates. For example I
    don't see other vendors rushing to release official updates for the
    commonly used bootp and dhcp packages, both of which have remote root
    holes in them.

    Before anyone levels accusations of hoarding security fixes to
    ourselves... please note that co-ordinating this audit beast is tricky.
    The project is young and still a bit disorganised. No-one has the
    "official" role of trying to get our finds publicised. However a few of us
    appear to have good communications going with OpenBSD, Debian linux, and
    possibly even a contact in Sun.

    Of course, most of our holes found (with clearly segregated patches too,
    aren't you lucky) are elaborated on in RedHat's errata update packages.
    I'm sure people/organisations will agree the minor time needed to check
    these updates, usually clearly labelled "SECURITY", is nothing compared
    with risking shipping very vulnerable daemons, etc. Just to emphasize the
    point I'll grumble at the people who accused OpenBSD of not sharing
    security fixes, when they have their uptodate CVS tree completely
    browseable on the web!

    Finally I'll risk telling you the address of our audit mailing list.
    Before even _thinking_ of subscribing, know that it's fairly high volume,
    and is NOT packed with sploits/holes. It's more general discussion. We
    like to post and discuss bits of dubious code and/or principles. We also
    like to discuss which open-source packages need a bit of source auditing,
    then get someone to volunteer to take a look.

    First, the _unsubscribe_ address. The amount of morons that can't work our
    unsubscribe is amazing.

    security-audit-unsubscribeat_private

    To subscribe:

    security-audit-subscribeat_private

    To post:

    security-auditat_private

    And finally, again, _please_ don't join unless you're actually interested
    in improving security through better coding practices or analysing/fixing
    up code. We're an audit list not a "sploit of the day" or "help how do i
    secure/hack/fix a system" list.

    Cheers
    Chris