Re: ePerl: bad handling of ISINDEX queries

From: Steve Willer (willerat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 11:32:58 PDT

    On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Andrew Pimlott wrote:

    > I notified the author of a variant of this bug last summer (which he
    > fixed; see
    > http://www.engelschall.com/sw/eperl/distrib/eperl-SNAP/ChangeLog).  I
    > honestly wouldn't trust eperl for a minute.  These are very simple
    > mistakes.
    >
    > >     This can lead to arbitrary Perl code being executed on
    > > the server.

    To be honest, although I ended up not using ePerl, I would consider this
    mistake fairly understandable. I mean, I can't think of anywhere that
    still uses ISINDEX, so it's not that strange for it to fall out of a
    developer's mental space.

    I do want to make one point about the original bug report: If I read it
    correctly, then you will only be able to execute ePerl code, *not* Perl
    code. ePerl starts off in "plain text" mode, so anything until the
    ePerl-open tag will be output as plain text.

    Of course, this does mean that a user would be able to read an arbitrary
    file that's accessible to nobody, but it doesn't mean they can execute
    whatever they want -- only ePerl pages, which are usually written to be
    safe (since they're usually a Web page anyway).