Re: ePerl: bad handling of ISINDEX queries

From: Tiago Luz Pinto (tiagoat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 21:52:52 PDT

    On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Steve Willer wrote:

    > To be honest, although I ended up not using ePerl, I would consider this
    > mistake fairly understandable. I mean, I can't think of anywhere that
    > still uses ISINDEX, so it's not that strange for it to fall out of a
    > developer's mental space.

            I don't agree with you on that. First, ISINDEX is well documented
    in the CGI specification and ePerl claims that is CGI/1.1 compliant.
    Second, if you want your software to work (not mentioning being secure),
    you can't forget things that are written in the specs.

    > I do want to make one point about the original bug report: If I read it
    > correctly, then you will only be able to execute ePerl code, *not* Perl
    > code. ePerl starts off in "plain text" mode, so anything until the
    > ePerl-open tag will be output as plain text.

            You'll be able to execute PERL code, since all that ePerl does
    is putting a PERL "print" command in front of your HTML code and passing
    it to the Perl interpreter along with the PERL code embedded in the page.

            Another thing: this bug was found in the latest (2.2.12)
    version of ePerl.

    |  Tiago Luz Pinto                                 tiagoat_private   |
    |  Network Administrator  -      Department of Production Engineering  |
    |  Federal University of Santa Catarina -                      Brazil  |