Re: Sun libnsl lameness

From: Matt Conover (mattcat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 19:44:28 PDT

    On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Allanah Myles wrote:

    > >                These vulnerabilities are present in Sun Microsystem's
    > >                Solaris 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5.1.
    >
    > They fail to mention 2.6 - is this because this announcement was
    > pre-2.6, or is it fixed in 2.6?

    At the time, I myself didn't have access to a Solaris 2.6. I had verified
    them a on Solaris 2.5.1, and later Mark had verified them on the other
    versions. Now I recall hearing that Solaris 2.6 was vulnerable, but I
    haven't confirmed that, so don't quote me on it. I'll check. Also, Sun has
    been nice enough to provide us with a Solaris 2.7 to do some testing.

    > This is another perfect example of why Sun should go back into the
    > hardware design and architecture business, and get OUT of the
    > OS/software business.  Leave software design to real software
    > designers.

    Speaking for myself here, I like Sun. I like [most] of their
    employees. For the record, I think it's unfair to judge a company's entire
    ability off one field. Your opinion is biased on security. I must say that
    I think several things are overlooked when it comes to Sun.

    Example: If a company is great with security, but terrible with
    portability, reliability, technical support... does that make them better
    than a company that is good overall, but lousy in a few
    fields? I don't think so.

    Matt Conover <mattat_private>                  RSI R&D Team
    RepSec, Inc. (RSI)                              [http://www.repsec.com]
    w00w00 Security Development (WSD)               [http://www.w00w00.org]