Re: Linux kernel filesystem oddities

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman (jhutz+@cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 12:56:59 PDT

    > Owners are stored in i-nodes. Directory entries are nothing but
    > (filename, i-node number) pairs.
    >
    > link("publicly-visible-file", "world-writable-directory/blah")
    >                 is as anonymous as
    > write(open("/world-writable-file", O_WRONLY), "blah", 4)

    True.  However, one might argue that the former should fail with
    EPERM, unless you happen to own "publicly-visible-file".  In fact,
    I thought I saw a patch go through here a while back that did exactly
    that, if "world-writable-directory" was also sticky.

    In general, publicly-writable directories are a bad thing.  They are
    the cause (or at least part of the cause) of numerous vulnerabilites,
    most much worse than the DoS attack described here.

       Systems Programmer