Re: Forwared to me

From: Toomas Soome (tsoomeat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 13:42:45 PDT

    On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

    >         I would also like to remark about one thing.  Solar Designer
    > quoted one possible action from the advisory.  That one point was a
    > suggestion made by my Sun contacts.  It was NOT our recommendation as
    > the action to be taken.  My PERSONAL recommendation is to disable finger
    > if at all possible.  It provides way too much information about accounts and

    actually, finger is only top of ice mountain, what it will do:
    setpwent()
      while( getpwent() ) {}
    endpwent()

    nothing more. but, if this is such simple, nothing will prevent users
    INSIDE to write this; easy and simple way to block sysadmins while
    cleaning trails or whatever. Actually, there are not only password tables
    around - there are tables for services, mail aliases etc. After all,
    calling NIS functions directly is not such big mystery...

    just another way to generate load for server- if there are netgroups used
    for some kind of access control - tcpd wrapper, NFS access etc...

    so, even if You can survive one type of attack - netgroups are not too big
    etc, combining different types may be just enough to bring down system...

    toomas soome
    Tartu University, Estonia
    --
    Gee, I feel kind of LIGHT in the head now, knowing I can't make my
    satellite dish PAYMENTS!