Re: SCO POP remote root exploit

From: Bela Lubkin (belalat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 16:03:58 PDT

    A fixed binary is now available in the SCO Security Enhancements
    directory on ftp.sco.com:

      ftp://ftp.sco.com/SSE

    Get files README and sse013.*.  Check the README for other supplements
    that you should also have, depending on your OS release.

    The popper fix applies to SCO OpenServer 5.0.0 through 5.0.4, SCO
    Internet FastStart 1.0.0 and 1.1.0.  The popper in UnixWare 7 and in
    UnixWare 2.x-based Internet FastStart is based on completely different
    source and doesn't have this set of problems.

    >Bela<

    PS: interesting case study.  A friend of mine runs an OSR5 public access
        system.  When this exploit was posted, I immediately broke root on
        his system with it.  I then disabled popper and told him about it.
        He installed a fixed popper binary.  In the succeeding 24 hours,
        syslog showed 5 separate attempts from around the world -- none of
        which succeeded.

        The problem which caused this vulnerability has been well known for
        2-3 weeks.  But until a "no brainer" attack was made available,
        actual attacks weren't happening.