Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6

From: Ralf Lehmann ralflat_private (ralflat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 13:46:31 PDT

    Recently we found a security risk caused by powermanagement on Solaris
    2.6. I am pretty sure that it exists on Solaris 2.5 too, though I
    haven't tested it.

    Sorry if this has been posted before.

    Powermanagement Functionality:

    If you are using a desktop like CDE or OpenLook you can press the
    on/off button on the keyboard to suspend the system. Suspending means
    that the whole kernel and all process memory is saved to disk. If you
    turn on the machine, the boot procedure realizes that the system has
    been suspended and restores the kernel and the processes. Operation
    of the system continues exately where it has been stopped, with one
    exeption. Lockscreen is called to prevent unauthorized access to the
    just started maschine.

    Here is the bug:

    When you reboot a suspended system you will see the line like

            Restoring system...

    on your screen. After a few seconds the line disapears and the screen is
    dark. Now start typing characters on the keyboard. On a slow SPARC 5 you
    will have 20 to 30 seconds to enter characters. All that input is delivered
    to the last active tool on the desktop even before lockscreen can catch
    the input fokus.

    It is a lot of fun if the superuser suspended the system and the last active
    tool was a shell.
    Try this: Shortly after the line "Restoring ..." disapears type
            passwd -d root
    or      echo + + >> /.rhosts
    or any other command you like to be executed as root. You don't have to worry
    about the time. On a SPARC 5 you will have a lot of time (20 seconds).
    After about 20 seconds of darkness you can see the desktop for a short
    moment before lockscreen is activated. But the damage is done already.

    I haven't found a bugdescription or patch from sun. The only workaround is
    not to use Powermanagement with a desktop. But who is using powermanagement
    anyway?

    Ralf Lehmann
    ralflat_private