Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6

From: Robert Sink (sinkat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 05:58:59 PDT

    On Jul 16, Ralf Lehmann ralflat_private (ralflat_private) wrote:
    > Recently we found a security risk caused by powermanagement on Solaris
    > 2.6. I am pretty sure that it exists on Solaris 2.5 too, though I
    > haven't tested it.

    [snip]

    > Powermanagement Functionality:
    >
    > If you are using a desktop like CDE or OpenLook you can press the
    > on/off button on the keyboard to suspend the system. Suspending means

    [more snip]

    >From my experience, there are two things you can do to disable this
    functionality plus L1-A  and they are as follows:

    /etc/default/sys-suspend

    PERMS=-

    This will prevent anyone except root from being able to select the
    suspend feature in the right click menu on the CDE desktop, this
    however doesn't seem to have any effect on the physical power button
    on the front of the Ultra 5 case.  The buttom seems to serve as a
    shutdown feature.  But hey, they can also flip the power switch or
    pull the plug to achieve this, too.  One of the pitfalls of openlab
    machines.

    ...and then as Casper Dik recently posted...

    /etc/default/kbd

    KEYBOARD_ABORT=disable

    --

    Robert Sink - Asst. Dept. Head - Computer/Network Services
    Univ. of Maryland Chesapeake Biological Laboratory - Solomons, MD.