Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: Adam Shostack (adamat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 09:29:13 PDT

            In conjunction with a client who performed regular code
    reviews, we attempted to look at the qmail source.  (.89 or .91 or
    so).  After I wrote up architectural and data flow documentation and
    diagrams, we found that we spent most of our time trying to follow
    some cleverly convoluted C.

            We were rarely sure when the code segments we were looking at
    were considered security critical.  We were often unsure what the code
    we were looking at did, or was intended to do.  Thus, instead of
    finding security bugs, we found an understanding of the code, which,
    unfortunately, is not releasable.

            Reviewing code for security is hard.  Someone else pointed out
    that innd's controller had a problem, and it was designed to be small
    and easy to review.  The firewall-toolkit had a bug in its encryption
    code under the comment 'Am too tired to think of a better way' that
    went unfound for four years.

            I use qmail, but look forward to alternatives with commented
    code being available.  I'll be a lot more comfortable when I don't
    have to reverse engineer the spec, review the spec, and then ensure
    the code matches.

    Adam

    Kragen wrote:
    | On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:
    | > Kragen wrote:
    | > > qmail uses no standard C library functions, other than syscalls, if I
    | > > remember correctly.
    | >
    | > That is true, but he hasn't documented it very well, in fact you have
    | > to look through and follow the function to see what is really does.
    |
    | The first version of qmail I looked at had no documentation for the
    | stralloc stuff, so I wrote some
    | (<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/stralloc.html>) and published it.
    | More recent versions appear to have a man page for the stralloc
    | functions, obsoleting my web page.
    |
    | Kragen

                                                           -Hume