Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: D. J. Bernstein (djbat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 03:18:36 PDT

    Beware of the Dijkstra phenomenon.

    The phenomenon is that immodular code seems more ``productive'' than
    heavily modularized code. You can read or write many more lines per hour
    of malloc(), strcpy(), free() than of unfamiliar high-level routines.

    Of course, the modular code ends up being _much_ smaller. It also lets
    you independently check the correctness of each module; this scales to
    arbitrarily large systems if the modules remain small.

    Adam Shostack writes:
    > we attempted to look at the qmail source.  (.89 or .91 or so).

    Things have changed since then. For example, I documented most of the
    Sub-Standard C Library(tm) in 1997.

    > We were rarely sure when the code segments we were looking at
    > were considered security critical.

    Anything touching the user's mail is security-critical---maybe not from
    root's point of view, but certainly from the user's point of view.

    ---Dan
    Binary qmail distributions are allowed! http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail/dist.html