[ NT SECURITY ALERT ] New Local GetAdmin Exploit

From: MJE (markat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 18:34:58 PDT

    July 27, 1998, (NTSD) - Three gentlemen from India have been kind enough to
    reveal to The NT Shop (http://www.ntshop.net or http://www.ntsecurity.net) a
    serious hole in Windows NT systems (any version of Workstation or Server)
    that readily grants the user complete membership to the Administrators
    group.

    According to the discovers, this exploit works against all versions of
    WinNT, including WinNT 5.0 betas, and may also be possible against a domain
    controllers in certain circumstances -- this is yet unconfirmed and
    un-demonstrated as far as I know. Their sample program, SECHOLE.EXE, only
    exploits the *LOCAL* user database.

    THE EXPLOIT, IN A NUTSHELL: by using existing Windows NT services, an
    application can locate a certain API call in memory, modify the instructions
    in a running instance, and gain debug-level access to the system, where it
    then grants the currently logged-in user complete membership to the
    Administrators group in the local user database.

    The NT Shop has reported this problem to Microsoft -- we've been in close
    contact with their security folks since last week, and are told a fix is
    ready -- I suspect they'll release a bulletin in the next 24 hours.

    For more information on the problem, as well as a brief interview with the
    discovers and a working copy of the program demonstrating this serious
    problem, visit our Web site where you'll find the page link at the top of
    the list in the left window frame.

    Mark
    http://www.ntsecurity.net or http://www.ntshop.net